Dr. Fetus is the main antagonist of Super Meat Boy and a post-Larries Lament boss. Made obvious by his name, he is a small fetus in a jar who mostly spends his days trolling the internet. For some odd reason, nobody likes him and he doesn't like them, either. It is common for Dr. Fetus to flip off Meat Boy. This can be seen in the transition from the light and dark world, pause menu, and some cut scenes
In the beginning cutscene, it is shown that he hates meat boy, most likely because he knows you are helping meat boy. So, he flips you off also.
He beats up Meat Boy and kidnaps Bandage Girl, which means Meat Boy needs to save her. When Meat Boy catches up to Bandage Girl, it only ends up with Dr. Fetus kidnapping Bandage Girl and teleporting elsewhere.
Developer Mode[edit | edit source]
Through the use of developer mode, a player can choose to play as Dr. Fetus. He features the special ability of throwing missiles and has the same movement as Meat Boy.
It should be noted that, in the manual that comes with the Ultra Edition of Super Meat Boy, there are diary entries that say "Keith Fetus 8.14.96." It is possible that Keith may be the first name of Dr. Fetus. His Twitter account also shows his name as Keith Fetus.
Dr. Fetus makes an appearance in Super Tofu Boy, PETA's parody of SMB as an overarching antagonist, where he is seen confessing to Bandage Girl and Tofu Boy that he put hormones on Meat Boy so he could act so violently.
Plan[edit | edit source]
As shown in a few comics, Dr. Fetus fiercely hates Meat Boy and kidnaps Bandage Girl to lure him through extremely dangerous paths.
Boss Battle[edit | edit source]
His boss battle first starts with Dr. Fetus trying to hit the player with a homing rocket launcher. The player must run from Dr. Fetus, avoiding the plethora of saws, pits, Dr. Fetus' missiles, and the 2 saw "columns" hanging from what we can assume is the top of the "castle" that Dr. Fetus controls, that kill you if you wait around for long enough on any area of this section of the battle. Then the player is trapped in a room with Dr. Fetus. There is a switch at the top of the ceiling. The player must dodge the missiles shot from Dr. Fetus and hit the button. Then the player must run into another room and the floor will collapse, resulting in Dr. Fetus falling into a pit. When he lands, his glass jar will break, revealing his body completely. As he rolls around in pain and you finally reunite with Bandage Girl, he will press a button, causing his "castle" to start falling apart. Then the player must go all the way back through the level (although with some notable tweaks, such as black smoke and a lot of shaking, making the escape arguably just as hard, though the saw columns "magically disappear" in a way that's never really explained after you reach the end of the first half) with Bandage Girl piggyback riding you (this does NOT affect your movement) and survive to beat the boss.
As a Playable Character[edit | edit source]
Since Dr. Fetus wasn't intended to be a playable character in Super Meat Boy, he isn't playable via normal means. However, he can still be played, and there are two ways of doing so:
Devmode: Dr. Fetus can be played in developer mode. This isn't very useful if you want to play him in the normal game, though.
Glitch abuse: Dr. Fetus can be played in the normal game through a glitch called bandage duplication. An explanation to the glitch can be found here (read description) and is only possible on the PC version of the game. After unlocking him, he is invincible to every obstacle and can only die by falling out of the world.
In Super Meat Boy Forever, the player can normally unlock him by beating him in his boss fight.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The animations for Dr. Fetus kidnapping Bandage Girl at the end of every level are based on other games.
- Hitting the button to remove the floor to defeat Dr. Fetus resembles defeating Bowser in the original Super Mario Bros. game.
- If the player manages to make it past the buzz saw columns on the right of the level during the first phase of the boss fight, they will NOT kill you after making it into the final room where Dr. Fetus falls to his near-death. This is a tactic usually used by SpeedRunners because it's arguably easier to finish the first half. By doing this, Dr. Fetus is left behind with the buzz saw columns, thus also eliminating the threat of his missiles.
- Dr. Fetus is an item in the game The Binding of Isaac (another game from the same creator).
- Dr. Fetus is the only boss that has a Dark World variant.
- In some artworks of the game, his monocle is changed to his right.
- "The Doctor's Remote" is an item in The Binding of Isaac that creates a large explosion at the target location, likely a reference to the remote Dr. Fetus uses to drop the atomic bomb at the end of Chapter 4: Hell.
- He participates in sand castle contests (using the information in the ultra edition manual).
- In the trailer for Super Meat Boy Forever, the narrator states that Dr. Fetus is not a real doctor.
- The animations for Dr. Fetus kidnapping Nugget at the end of every level are based on other games.
- Dr. Fetus is also an incel as the steam description for Super Meat Boy Forever says
- in the intro for Super Meat World, Dr. Fetus is seen being built by presumably GLaDOS since there's a silhouette of her in the cutscene
- and if thats the case then Dr. Fetus is GLaDOS's Son and if Chell is GLaDOS's Daughter then Dr. Fetus is Chell's Brother