Brownie is the boss of the salt factory and the tritagonist of Super Meat Boy. He has been designed to look like Meat Boy, but instead of being made of muscle with black eyes, he is made of Dr. Fetus' feces and has yellow eyes, most likely made of corn.
His boss fight acts like a speed run through a level that has rising salt. Making contact with him will not kill Meat Boy. After beating Brownie, Meat Boy will try and save him, but fails as Dr. Fetus keeps pelting him with bricks, as an attempt for revenge, Meat Boy jumps over to Dr. Fetus's tower, but later gets hit with a remote, sending him to the the salt flood below, unlocking Chapter 4: Hell.
Brownie appears once again after beating Dr. Fetus and escaping from "his castle". As a boulder is just about to crush Meat Boy, Brownie comes to save him. He is thought to have died as he went down with the island as it was exploding. However, he appears during the credits popping out from his grave and then getting hit by a toilet that comes from Dr. Fetus' castle. The song that is played in this level is called "Fast Track to Browntown".
Cutscene[edit | edit source]
Before the battle begins, Meat Boy found Bandage Girl tied in the factory and attempts to rescue her. However, Meat Boy's rescue is interrupted by Dr. Fetus, who is using a toilet. He then flushes the toilet (without wiping, eww.) creating the poo creature known as Brownie. The poo creature appears and roars at Meat Boy, only to be interrupted by a fart from Dr. Fetus who, after spending time on the toilet, presses a button which floods the area with a rising pile of salt. And then the battle begins.
As a Playable Character[edit | edit source]
Brownie is also available as a playable character in all versions of the game via a code. He is a re-skin of Meat Boy. To play as Brownie, you must have defeated The Salt Factory boss and input the following code in the character select screen:
- PC: Down, Down, Down, Esc, Esc, Esc, Enter
- Xbox Controller: RB, RB, RB, B, B, B, X
- PS4 Controller: R1, R1, R1, Circle, Circle, Circle, Square
- Wii U/ Switch: ZR, ZR, ZR, B, B, B, Y
Brownie is available on PC/Mac/Linux, but a controller is necessary to input the code.
After entering the code, a voice should say "Push the buttons!" Then choose any character, and you will be playing as Brownie.
Example of the code working can be found here.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the boss fight, Brownie is actually a recording of a developer playing.
- In developer mode, it is possible to (supposedly) zoom out the screen revealing an alternate way to the top of the level, albeit guarded by a flow of salt. It is unproven, yet possible.
- Brownie strangely comes out of a sort of elevator in the cut-scene. Strangely, the elevator appears to be connected to the pipes of Dr. Fetus's open outhouse.
- Brownie also appears in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth as a boss. Here, he appears as a giant poop ball with corns.
- If Brownie makes it to the top before the player, he will freeze in mid-air and the salt flood will disappear. The player, however, will not die and can still beat the boss by reaching the top. This does not, however, change the cutscene. in Version 1.2.5 the salt just Rises faster when Brownie is on the top.